Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Monday, January 17

Unwanted Information

Common conversation:

Them: What did you do before you worked out here?

Me: I was a wildland firefighter.

Them: No way! You went into buildings and saved people? I can’t imagine you wearing all that equipment!

Me: No, wildland. I fought forest fires.

Them: Oh, you were a smoke jumper?

Me: No.

Today’s Exploit:

The other night I was sitting in the kitchen while Noah talked. He’d exhausted his phone and his boredom as topics, so he started telling me about a mentor he had.

He was getting ready to leave somewhere. (I’m not sure where, I have a hard time paying attention to what he’s actually saying anymore.)

“She kept thinking of things to tell me about the job, but then she started talking about her life and telling me everything about herself. She just didn’t want me to go, and I really didn’t want to know that stuff. Man, she was a talker; she talked all the time. I don’t think she ever stopped.”

I stared at him blankly for a few minutes trying as hard as I could not to burst out laughing. Then I went back to making my sandwich and trying really hard to ignore the blather.

PS Today was the first day I didn’t have to walk out and close the door while he was still talking. He had to leave before me, so it was nice and quiet for just a few minutes. Lovely.

PPS This was not at all what I had intended for this post. Maybe tomorrow I’ll remember where I was headed initially.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative