Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Tuesday, January 4

Risky Business

I tried to be productive today, but the internet said “NO.” So I will write more posts, I guess. Doncha just love the internet?

Today’s Exploit:

We made plans to meet at 9:30 so that we could eat some Soon-To-Be-World-Famous-Sourdough-Pancakes and then leave for the ski hill by 10:00, in the morning. That was our first problem.

Cupcake doesn’t like mornings.

But amazingly enough she made it by 10:02:36 am. And she made the pancakes because everyone else was too lazy. My excuse is lack of sleep. My mom really had no excuse, but I think she said it was too cold in the house. Also cooking and eating the pancakes took longer than the expected half an hour, so we didn’t leave until after 11. Partly because we also had to get dressed, and snow pants can be difficult to get on when you’re still groggy.

We made it to the ski area by sometime around noon, and I got my pass and paid for my rentals. Then we met TJ. He had told our dad he’d give Cupcake ski lessons. But somehow that got turned around to mean that we’d both take snowboarding lessons. So we got some equipment and marched bravely into the painful world of hard snow and limited mobility.

TJ had us start out on a laughable little hill 9.82 feet long. We spent about an hour and a half on this hill falling and going the wrong direction and sitting down and standing up, a lot. We were practicing making S turns when Cupcake threw herself into a drift. I wasn’t even serious when I made that threat, but she thought she should get all snowy anyway. It was in exactly the same spot that TJ threw himself into the snow.

I laughed a lot, and she pouted. But I’m not sorry because she laughs at people falling off the lift all the time, or when they fall off their bicycles, or any other embarrassing moment they might have.

We finally made it to the bunny hill where we were able to ride the magic carpet instead of trudging up the hill 48 ½ times. Then we got really brave and got on the lift to try going down a real hill.

It turns out that going around to the green run is very difficult if you’re not willing to gain any momentum. It took us 45 minutes to get off to the sloped part of the run. Then it took us another 45 minutes to get the rest of the way down because we fell every 3.2 feet.

Then right at the very end of the run, where it was solid ice from so many skis and snowboards and melting and freezing again I got going pretty fast. And it was almost fun, until I hit a bump that put me off balance and made me catch the edge of the board and subsequently fall very hard on my tailbone. And I was going fast enough that I bounced and skidded a few feet before I stopped.
 
It felt like it looked sort of like this, but I probably wasn't going fast enough to make snow
fly over my head; and also I fell backwards instead of on my face.
Picture frm here.
I sat there for a while, trying to regain my composure and telling myself that it was just a little fall and I’d be fine. But the next day I knew I’d lied to myself when it hurt to sit down, and I couldn’t drive the car. And I pouted.

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative