Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Wednesday, January 26

Cultivating a Post is Difficult

The other day I was reading a sometimes funny blog. The title of the post was “In which I discuss equestrian hookers, boots and strongly worded letters.” It reminded me of some books that I love. They make up a four book series about dragons and witches and princesses who would rather be a dragon’s cooks than princesses. And a forest that doesn’t stay put, and is always changing to make it impossible to get to where you want to go.

But I digress; each and every chapter in all four of these books has a title that begins, “In which…”. And they are all very clever, and quite funny. I recommend them. The first one is Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede.

I am amazed I remember the author after so long. Usually I can’t remember titles.

Today’s Exploit:

I had a really good topic for today’s post. But I lost it last night. It always seems to go that way. I have a good idea and I plan how I want to introduce it and develop it so I think I’m ready to go. But then I go to bed and try to sleep some, before I wake panicking that I’ve overslept.

After that happens 32 times my alarm finally goes off. Then I stare at the ceiling for 6.8 minutes debating being productive and doing some exercises or going back to sleep. By then I decide to go back to sleep, but have been awake long enough that I end up staring at the ceiling for another 4.62 minutes before getting up to make some tea.

And also to change the channel on the TV to something I can stand to hear. Usually it’s tuned to some really crappy, poorly made movie and blaring because the last person to watch is pretty much deaf. After 3.15 minutes I find some music that is only mildly irritating.

This leaves me with 8.7 minutes to wash my face, change into work clothes and wash an apple.

Naturally the other MWD generally decides to tell me how much I’m missing by not being jovial and bubbly and perky first thing in the morning, while chatting online and NOT LEAVING. By the time he finally goes to bed I’ve completely forgotten what my topic was, although I remember vague details of how I wanted to cultivate it.

These vague memories are not enough to be helpful, so I’m left with 2.6 hours to find a topic, outline it, build it, and edit it.  Or rather, find a topic and wing it.

I blame the bad spelling and pointless posts on the 48 times I wake panicked.

I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative