Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Monday, April 11

I Just Knew They’d Steal Me If I Slept There

I’m ready for my vacation, can it be 25 April yet? Also, do you think they’re still hiring penguin trainers at the zoo?

Today’s Exploit:

My last call to go to a job went something like this:

Me: Hello?

Jared: I need you to go to a rig in southeast Texas tonight.  (Damn)

Me: That’ll be an 8 or 9 hour drive. (They don’t let us drive after 11, and it was 4)

Jared: Well, you’re the only one available, so drive as far as you can tonight and finish the trip first thing in the morning.

So I did. I drove and drove and drove until 11. Then I found a hotel and slept for 4 hours. Because I was too keyed up after my check-in and worried about waking up on time in the morning.

I checked out and got in my car and called the Journey Management people. Then Jared called.

Turns out I could have slept in. They didn’t need me until the afternoon.

Then in the afternoon I arrived and got the shack all set up and called asking where everyone else was. They didn’t need us until the next night.

When they finally needed us we found out that they didn’t have beds for all of us. The extra trailer was paid for by the company that was leaving.

The DD told me he’d figure it out, but I was scurrd. He couldn’t find a phone number, and I was sure that if I fell asleep in that trailer they’d come and hook it up to the truck and drive off, with me rolling around in the bed or on the couch.

I’m pretty sure they have to go inside to do electric stuff and make sure everything is secure, but I’d been up for about 37 hours (in addition to spending 2 nights in hotels) and wasn’t really thinking rationally.

So I slept in my car for 2 hours, until the clouds went away and the sun hit me and my car was instantly 485 degrees.

That was when I gave up and went inside, and hoped that they wouldn’t drive me away. Because having an AC is far more important that worrying about the ramifications of getting back to the rig without my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative