Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Thursday, April 14

Sir, You’re Arguing Against Mathematics

Today I surpassed my own expectations. I conquered my previous record at consecutive days doing the P90x workout. I’m so proud.

I finished Day 3.

Today’s Exploit:

Outside the DDs and the nighttime Driller nearly everyone on this job hates us. I know this because they make everything 42.7 times harder for us than it should be.

They argue with the daily cost schedule, they ask for overly-specific file names and they ask us to delete 5/6ths of our data, and then interpolate it. I don’t understand the rationale of any of it.

First, these have nothing to do with how much they pay, or even if they will pay. Then they want LESS accurate data. WHY? And the rest is just nit-picky because we already have to contort our data to work with their prehistoric computer programs.

But today one of these guy made me laugh, and I didn’t feel the burning desire to punch them in the ear for about 32 seconds.

The scenario:

The Company Man (who doesn’t like us) is in our box. They’re having temperature warnings for the motors and want to change the pump strokes.

CoMan: We might need to go from 51 strokes on one pump to 27 on two pumps.

Enrique: We can definitely try that, but it will put a harmonic in the middle of our tool signal and interfere with the data recording.

CoMan: How do you know that?

Enrique: The harmonics on the pump will change. See how there’s a line here? It’s from the pumps.

CoMan: But we’re not changing the flow.

Enrique: This is from our surface equipment, it gets this from each pump.

CoMan: But how do you know that the harmonic will be right there?

Enrique: You divide the number of strokes from each pump by 60, and that’s the frequency that it appears at.

CoMan: But there will still be 57 strokes.

Enrique: Yes, but the harmonic comes from each pump stroke rate, not from the total of both.

CoMan: But how do you know it’ll be there? We’ll have to try it, you can’t know for sure.

Me: Please don’t laugh, please don’t laugh,pleasedon’tlaugh, don’tlaughdon’tlaughdon’tlaugh

He continued arguing that it only might" be there, and we’d have to try it to be sure.  (Obviously we don't know how this stuff works.)  We can’t know things like that.

Dude, it’s mathematics. It’s not a maybe situation. 2+2 will pretty much always be 4.  And 3x7 will be 21. IT’S JUST THE WAY IT IS!

Also, Enrique has been doing this for 4 years, he knows what he’s talking about.

Now that I think about it a bit I understand why you might hate me. I’m just a little bit (read 90 kabillion times) smarter than you. And also prettier.

As for the other guy? The one that gives me busy work and says it’s mandatory? I still want to punch him in the ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative