Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Sunday, October 16

Sleep Mode: A Baffling Experience

I finally read those dragon and wizard books by the scary octopus lady (I still equate the name Ursula with the evil witch from “The Little Mermaid”).  The ones my mom told me to read about 15.2 years ago.
A Wizard of Earthsea
The Tombs of Atuan       
The Farthest Shore
-Ursula K. Le Guin
I also just found out there are 3 more in the series.  Time to go to the bookstore...
Today’s Exploit:
Sometimes I wonder about the roughnecks I work with. 
Half of them are super-smart and I can’t hold a candle to the things they know.
But then I meet the ones that I rather doubt could find the on/off button on a computer without help.  
Yesterday I got a call saying that the computer I have on the rig floor wasn’t working.  
Me:  Hello?
RN:  Your computer isn’t working.
Me:  Ok, let me check that it’s still on the network.
RN:  The what?
Me:  It’s still communicating, you’re sure it’s not working.
RN:  Nope, it’s just a black screen.
So I walked up the 48 stairs to the sweltering doghouse.  I trudged over to where 3 guys are standing around a blank computer looking stumped.
I touched the mousepad and turned around to go back to my box.
RN:  Wait, what did you do?
Me:  Nothing.
RN:  Let me see your fingers.
Me:  What?
RN:  I want to see if you have a magnet there, or something.
Me:  The computer just went to sleep mode.  All you have to do is touch the mousepad or press a key.  
RN:  Wow, I thought it was broken!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative