Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Tuesday, September 13

Popeye’s Retirement Village

George jumped on the running bandwagon today.  
I’ve now gotten 62.3% of the people out here running and/or walking.  Lindsay doesn’t count, she was running already.  She told me she ran 12 miles one morning on her last run.  Kinda makes me feel like a wimp to be proud of my 4-5 miles each day.

Today’s Exploit:
I am in the “Spinach Capital of the World”.
I’ve got proof!  I took pictures.  
And now for the history lesson: 
Hard to imagine that anything could grow here when it’s 592 degrees out, but I guess they grow it during the winter, along with carrots and tomatoes and peppers.
And they grow onions in the spring, but spinach is better because it means they get to have a statue of Popeye the Sailor Man.  They put it up in 1937.  


His picture is on the water tower also.  
The town hero.  He is credited with growing the spinach industry 33% from 1931 to 1936.
Next stop: His home town, Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative