Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Monday, September 20

Panic Attack

All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific. ~Jane Wagner, The Search For Intelligent Life In The Universe, performed by Lily Tomlin

Today’s Exploit:

I was sitting at my computer studying for my upcoming class when the directional driller called me.

DD: Hey! We have a cheeseburger up here with your name on it!

Me: Ok. (Translation: not interested)

DD: We also have some pipe tally.

Me: Alright, I’ll be up in a couple minutes.

Going to the rig floor usually qualifies as an adventure for me. Unless I am rigging up and have already made the trip 72 times. So I was expecting a fun little outing away from my trailer. I hardly even go outside since the office is in the trailer this time.

So I got my hardhat and my boots on and grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil. And I carted myself across location and up the stairs.

I opened the door to a full house. Everyone awake was up there. I think that equated to 32 ½ people. And the doghouse is not very big.

I made a beeline for the DD and the pipe tally with major tunnel vision. I jotted down the numbers as fast as I could, took the fast food bag they offered almost without noticing and raced out. That was way too many people that I didn’t know. I’m pretty sure I nearly had a panic attack.

I went up expecting the driller, the DD and maybe a floor hand. That would be only one person that I hadn’t talked to before.

I vaguely remember them teasing me about visiting sometime. And it’s rather humorous that I skedaddled as fast as I could after that. I’d forgotten how horrifying crowds are.  I was doing so well, not being shy and reclusive.  Until today.

PS Dad: Tonight you should make Individual Meatloaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative