Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Monday, September 13

Mattress Adventure

I went through some boxes, at my parents’ house, of things saved for me. They had saved some things from when I was younger and some of my grandparents’ things that they thought I might want. Among the items were an ice cream maker, an American Girls doll, a woven blanket and a wooden plate with a hummingbird painting. Most of the stuff I understand, but the plate? And the blanket? I’m not sure why they ended up in my box.

I also went through some boxes that were for my sister, looking for a particular piano book that is still unaccounted for. In her box I found a book that I had requested. I was a little huffy, and took the book. I got it home to my Oklahoma flat and discovered that she had somehow found another copy of the same book. Now I have two copies, and I feel rather sheepish for taking her book.

Today’s Exploit:

Today I went furniture shopping. My main goal was a mattress. Mine is about as heavy as a large elephant, and it is older than my sister. This equates to way too many years of use, considering all the commercials I’ve heard lately suggest maybe eight years.

I looked at a couple styles at the first store I went to, and was rather shocked by some prices. They were a teensy bit more than I expected. I sat on some beds and wandered around the other sections of the store trying to avoid both crowds and the overzealous sales people that mob me when I enter. They somehow never seem to understand that I’m more likely to spend money if they give me some space.

Finally I gave up and went to another store hoping for fewer customers. I was lucky and told the very chatty salesperson that I was looking for mattresses. She took me to them and told me about a few between telling me about her shoes, the weather, having a tall family and calling me Miss Lady. She called me Miss Lady even after I told her my name. She was funny. She spent most of the time telling me that I am not short.

I ordered my favorite mattress to be delivered tomorrow morning. Then I went shopping for new sheets for my new mattress. I made my selection and got home very excited for the morning. I walked into my flat and realized that it is a disaster and must be cleaned before the mattress delivery people arrive.

This proceeded to entail cleaning, moving furniture and organizing all of my rooms. In the process I began looking for a painting. And a photograph. I have looked on every surface and gone through every box several times but they are nowhere to be found.

I’m beginning to think that someone broke in while I was on holiday to steal these two items. Everything else I own has been accounted for in this process. I am miffed about where the two pieces could be. I know I saw them several times each day I was home before my holiday.

I also just realized that I still have a large pile of junk near my door that must be dealt with sometime soon.

Please send me positive wishes that I did not throw my painting in a dumpster inadvertently!

PS Dad: Tonight you should make Ground Beef Gyros

1 comment:

  1. HEY! WHAT BOOK DID YOU STEAL FROM ME! JERK! :/
    just kidding. but really. what book was it?
    also. please don't send it in the mail because it will almost certainly be lost in the post office chaos, just like the last 20 things that you sent me!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative