Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Thursday, February 10

A Meeting Over Dumbbells

I find the following quote suits my dad, and my sister, and sometimes my mother.

A pun is the lowest form of humor, unless you thought of it yourself.
-Doug Larson

Today’s Exploit:

I met a boy.

I suppose technically he was a man, but I find that awkward to say.

But on to the details…

I was staying at a hotel in Louisiana for a class on Drilling Optimization. (I believe this was before the entire city shut down for the cold.) To avoid feeling lazy and as an excuse to escape my room I went to the gym, a room that consisted of a bicycle, two treadmills, an elliptical and a bench for free-weights.

On this particular night the room was inhabited. A guy was using the weights and I had to interrupt to get to one of the dreaded treadmills. After about 20.4 minutes of silence I did the unthinkable and initiated conversation. It was nothing terribly interesting, mostly about the weather and our respective reasons for staying at the hotel. But we talked off and on for the rest of the 39.6 minutes we were both in the room.

Not an extremely exciting event, but I was very proud of myself for overcoming my social awkwardness and talking to someone I’d never seen before and probably never will again.

Next step is talking to someone I might see tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative