Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Wednesday, February 23

How Far Do You Usually Go? Oh, Just a Little Bit Further

A little snippet of trivia for you:
In London on June 13th 2009 over 1,000 cyclists stripped off to take part in the World Naked Bike Ride. The sixth annual protest against oil dependency and car culture saw riders stage nude rallies in more than 40 locations around the world. In London, the naked cyclists, some painted with anti-oil slogans, followed a six-mile (10km) route from Hyde Park Corner past the Houses of Parliament and through the West End.

-Found here.

Today’s Exploit:

The other night both of the directional drillers started talking about how they need to start running/exercising. They told me how much they used to run and started comparing workout stories.

Naturally I had to tease them about actually getting started. In response Matt, the day DD, decided that he would run with me the following evening. He asked me 3.8 times if I was still going to go. I think he was nervous.

Six o’clock finally came, and we set out. We walked for a while, and then he told me not to let him slow me down. So I started running, maybe slightly slower than my normal pace.

Matt kept up for ¾ of a mile before his lungs forced him to take a break. A 10 minute/mile pace is pretty fast after 6-8 months of doing nothing.

The next interval was just over a ½ mile.

We ended up going about 3.5 miles this way, each interval slightly shorter or slightly slower. It was a nice easy run for me, rather fun after continually pushing myself through the 4 mile route I normally do.

Also 3.5 miles is a bloody long way for a first run. I was quite impressed. I also though Matt was going to keep running until he fell over dead, and I’d have to drag him back to the rig.

He probably will be taking a few days off to recover movement in his legs. But he is determined to keep running, which is more than I can say for the last running buddy I had. Hopefully I get to come back to this rig so I have company occasionally.

I wonder what he’d say if I told him I wanted to run 8 miles next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative