Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Saturday, January 2

The first of the Real World

Previously I have posted on Rig Life and Cooking on PJ's Kitchen.  But, mostly due to boredness, I have decided to reorganize.  I've wanted a new format for a while, and this is my experiment.  To ensure that PJ's Kitchen will continue to operate if I mess with it a lot.

Today's Exploit:

I was just getting in to my little blogging world when I hear this ding from a computer.  (I am at a rig.  Working in a box that's 100 feet form the box I sleep in and about 20 feet from the big box on stilts that they drill from.)  I look over and see a sign saying hspm has encountered too many errors and will shut down. 



Well, Sh00t! hspm is how we recive data from the tool.  It is the reason I am here. 

First thing. I save what I already have.  Next I call and ask the driller to stop for a few minutes.  Then I restart the computer.  Going alright so far.  Now I get to the tricky part...setting up the sensors.  Well, usually they revert to the last configuration used, but not today. 

So I call for assistance.  Turns out no one at the "General Assistance Headquarters" knew what they were doing either.  I spent 40 minutes on the phone with one of these people trying to figure out how to set this up.  Turns out it would have been about 14.2 times faster to do this on my own. 

Meanwhile I am getting calls from the computer company asking when I want a computer delivered, and from the Directional Driller asking for updates on the status of my "Reboot". 

Finaly, with assistance, the computer froze again.  This is when I get off the phone wth the "General Assistance Headquarters" person and go ask the guy I'm working with (Dave) for help.  He was sleeping and a bit groggy, so he wasn't much help either. 

I came back to the box.  Restarted the computer again (the mouse was being funky and not letting me control it) and commence setting up.  I am almost ready to call and tell the Directional Driller he can start drilling again, when Dave comes out and asks how it's going. 

Well, it's finally working.  And that'll teach me to call for help when I don't know what's going on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative