Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Monday, April 26

Erkel

Another safety meeting.

Today we had a new character. His name is Safety Steve.

Seriously, that’s how he introduced himself to me. He is an odd duck. But he’s really funny.

This morning he was telling us about how he’s terrorized other rigs. Some of the toolpushers and company men don’t like him. And evidently they make that very clear.

One of them called him Erkel. He does wear some funny glasses. He mimicked the toolpusher. I don’t know if this was a normal voice for him, or adopted to make it more funny, but it was very nasal and snobby.

I can’t stop you from coming to this rig, but I can break you from the habbit!

Erkel, Erkel, Erkel, ERKEL!

Erkel, don’t hang your hardhat on the wall, you’re not staying long enough.

Erkel, report to your trailer and don’t come out for 14 days!

Erkel, get off the rig floor.

Erkel, that’s not your job!

Erkel, GO AWAY!

Then in a more normal voice:

Safety man, will you help me? Oh you want help now?

He told us he liked to try to raise the guy’s blood pressure. Seems to me it wasn’t that difficult.

Today’s Exploit:

When Mr. Doyle got back to the rig, he told me he’d go “running” with me the next morning. He’s a funny guy. I didn’t think he’d ever go with me. But I wanted to see his reaction when I stopped by in the mornings.

The first morning he decided he was too tired. He didn't get a nap that night.

The next morning it was raining.

The next morning it might rain.

This morning he actually went with me. We walked about two miles. He walks really fast. It’s a good thing I had lots of practice keeping up with my mom. It paid off today. He told me I was really tough, keeping up with him.

He also told a couple of the roughnecks we passed that he was out trying to get me in shape.

On a side note, before we left he was telling me about the cows in a nearby pasture. They are easily spooked.

Mr. Doyle: They’re crazy! Crazier than a run-over lizard!

I took notes. He thought that was hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative