Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Thursday, April 22

The Bear

Last night/yesterday the company man cooked dinner.  This was in celebration of his birthday (I made Rice Crispy Treats).  It was amazing.  I don't know what it's called, something French, but it's basically chicken stew.  Then there were the green beans.  Do they retain their nutritional value if they're cooked in a pound of butter?  And then there were the rolls. 

I think I may have died when I tasted the first roll.  They were the exact rolls that I've been trying to make since I started making bread (it doesn't happen very often, but...).  And they were fresh, and he told me the recipe.  I think I'm in heaven.  I need to go buy some yeast...

Today's Exploit:

Today in the safety meeting Mr. Doyle told us a story.  Actually he told several, but I didn't have my pen with me to take notes on my hand. 

This guy was out in the woods, when suddenly a bear started chasing him/his party.  The only weapon he had was a flare gun.  So, in desperation, he turned and shot that bear in the chest with the flare gun.  (Apparently it was chasing them on it's hind legs)  And it went "Aarrrreeeeaaaauuuuuggghhhh" and waving it's arms, and stomping and clawing at the air (Mr. Doyle demonstrated for us) and let them escape. 

Later I was on my way to run, and I returned the container that my amazing French Chicken Stew came in.  I told them I was going to run.  They told me to watch out for the hogs, and the cows and the deer.  Jokingly I said that I was most worried about the deer.  But they didn't get the joke, so they started telling me how dangerous cows with calves are. 

Story 1
One of the calves in the heard had some problems, it was not healthy.  But the mama wouldn't let anyone near it.  Finally, they took a truck and herded her away, then kept the truck between her and the baby.  One guy jumped out to vaccinate the baby.  While he was out the cow attacked the truck.  She hit it so hard the bed came off.  The guy jumped back in the truck and took off, but the bed was upside down over the baby.  I'm pretty sure the bed of the truck died that day, because no one was willing to get close enough to her to help. 

Then they started talking about the bulls, how lazy they are out here.  And that turned into bull stories. 

Story 2
A guy had this HUGE bull that was almost like a puppy.  It would approach people wanting to be petted.  One day the bull was in the barn, and the guy was petting it when it turned on him.  He jumped up and grabbed one of the rafters and swung his legs up to wrap around it.  But he was unable to get himself up on top of the rafter. 

The company man was going to visit, but no one answered.  Suddenly he heard "HHHEEEEELLLLLPPPP".  So he went to investigate.  When he entered the barn, the bull was huffing and snorting and trying to hit the guy in the rafters.  (He demonstrated, pawing at the ground and huffing and swing his head around)  He was able to open the gate and let the bull out and rescue the stranded guy. 

I'm pretty sure this guy will never live this down, especially after bragging about how tame his bull was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative