Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Saturday, July 31

Cleanliness is a Virtue

I recently discovered The Bloggess. I have looked at her site before, but it didn’t quite click with me. But the other night I read yet another post that referenced her. So I looked again. I have been reading nonstop for the past 23.8 hours. This lady is hilarious. And she has a snarky advice column. I love her. When I am feeling particularly snarky about some of the self-important people here on this rig I think of her column, and immediately feel a little less snarky.

I like that word. Snarky.

Today’s Exploit:

Yesterday morning I went to the safety meeting. This meeting is required by the company and usually consists of a rig hand mumbling through a safety worksheet.

Yesterday, however, was completely dedicated to keeping the meeting house clean. The company man has very strong feelings about the house (a floor, ceiling and three walls made of plywood). He waxed…something(it wasn't poetic) about how it should be treated as one would treat his own home. Apparently we should be able to walk in the glorified cardboard box with no shoes. This is a very strenuous task for whomever is chosen, considering the two feet of mucky clay on location everyone’s’ feet weigh 43.7 pounds from slogging through it.

The company man talked and talked and talked. He told us for 27 minutes about the need to keep that place clean enough to eat off the floor.

Although, somehow his description morphed into him telling us about some poor guy who was stung by a scorpion in a rather unpleasant place while using a port-a-john. He ended up dislocating his shoulder trying to get out before he pulled his pants up. I don’t remember how this ties in to keeping the house clean, but I know it does. I’ll ask a rig hand, but I’m pretty sure they checked out before I did. I only made it 7.23 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative