Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Tuesday, October 5

The Scottish and the Wannabe-s

I have recently become aware that I have a very short attention span. The news says that kids have a hard time focusing because they watch TV too much, and the image is always changing and shows are continually interrupted with commercials.

I would like to say that TV is the reason I have the attention span of a three year old, but I don’t watch it very often. And books don’t have built in interruptions. My only excuse is that I find my job very dull sometimes. I watch my instructor and pretend I’m attentive, but really I’m noticing the grass growing. Or the person playing on their phone, or the dust motes in the sunlight.

I think I may be in trouble. I have to take an exam tomorrow, and I have no idea what the instructor talked about today, or yesterday…

Today’s Exploit:

Last night I went to dinner with some friends from South America. We met in school. And they all came back for school again. So we went to the bar and had appetizers and alcohol.

Then they decided we needed to play ping pong. NEEDED.

So we found a room with a table, and set up the net. Then the guy from Brazil told us how to play Rotations. It is a very complex explanation for many, many one point games with constantly changing “teams”. But we eventually figured it out. And we had lots of fun, and spent much time laughing.

Then the new guys came in. They played air hockey for a while before they decided to join us, and try to learn the rules. That’s when things got interesting.

Some of them had never held a paddle before, but thought they were amazing. Some of them were very good, but very drunk and therefore thought they should make up new rules each point. So the structure of our game deteriorated quickly. But the humor greatly increased.

See, two of the new guys were from Scotland. So we didn’t understand much of what they said. A third new guy was from Colorado, but really wanted to be from Scotland, so he spoke with a Scottish accent all night. The guys from Scotland just egged him on, so most of their conversations deteriorated into incoherent yelling after 4.27 seconds. But they were having a good time making no sense.

The rest of us were completely in awe of the ridiculousness of these people, so we had to stop playing our game and just watch the madness.

I spent the next three hours laughing. And watching the new guys play what appeared to be a charade of ping pong. And every 5.8 seconds I’d climb off my chair and retrieve the ball for them, before they had a chance to knock me down by crawling under it. I wouldn’t put something like that past any of them.

PS Dad: I am supposed to be studying right now, so you’ll have to find your own dinner ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Your dad made burritos/taco salad and it was quite yummy. He had a burrito and I had taco salad. Hope you're enjoying yourself at school. And PAY ATTENTION!!! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't lie to your father, tell him you're at the Library. Studying huh

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative