Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Saturday, January 14

Mud Bath, er Shower

Countdown:  63 days.  
Doctors: They give you pain meds you don’t want, then the antibiotic they prescribed doesn’t actually do anything and you have to go get a new one.
Today’s Exploit:
Yesterday the tool almost died again.  
After we tried fussing with the pumps and making 480,925 changes to the computers they made me change the pressure sensor again.
I checked with the driller, and he said he’d turn off the pumps and drain pressure from the pipe.  I went and got my coveralls, to avoid getting mud on my town clothes (aka the shirt Cupcake let me borrow) and got my tools.  
I took off the cable and the protector and checked once more with the driller that I could remove the sensor.  
He said it was ok, to go ahead.
I started turning the sensor very slowly, because I knew it would still have some pressure behind it.  Gradually it started leaking, so I knew it was almost free.  I made one more small turn, and BAM!
The sensor was gone and I was covered in mud and I had a 30.84 foot arc of mud shooting over my head.  
I took off my safety glasses and wiped them off. 
When I tried to put them back on I realized that the insides were coated with mud, not just the outsides.  
I didn’t have enough clean material on my coveralls to get it all off because I’d used it to wipe off my face.
When the arc didn’t decrease I ran upstairs to ask the driller if the valves were really closed.  He said that they were, and the flow would abate in a minute.  
So I went back down and watched for a while, until it was low enough that I could force a new sensor on.  I sprayed everything really well with ether-cleaner stuff and put my cable back on.  
Then I went and got a rag and went inside to see if it had helped.  That was when I discovered that I had black hair and a mustache.  
Once I was sure everything was back in working order, and had informed the Directional Drillers and the company man, I went to take a shower.  I spent the next hour and all the hot water dousing my head with dish soap and scraping at the mud on my arms with my nails.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative