Other things. Sorta like posts, but not.

Monday, May 26

I Found a Bramble


This week’s recommended reading:

I love this series. I read it all the time, especially since H.
found copies for me for Christmas. Image found here.

Today’s Exploit:

The other day on my run I noticed some red berries along the road. They made me think of raspberries, but I didn’t stop to check it out and imagined they were probably some terrible Texas killer berry. And then I forgot all about them.

A couple days later I was standing on the road, so that the trees would block some rig noise, and talking to H. on the phone. I noticed some berries again. 

This time I looked closer.

The berries are segmented like raspberries, and they have the fuzzy serrated leaves like raspberries, and they have the crazy-mean-spiny poky stalks like raspberries. 

But when I pulled on a berry it didn’t want to budge, normally indicating non-ripeness. 

And then I thought about it for a minute and realized that the berries were not hidden under leaves like raspberries usually are, and the terrain is not at all rocky. It’s more sandy and loose.

That was when I noticed a black one. And another.

Naturally I picked them.

And then I went to my computer to check out the plant identification guides.

They are blackberries.

And it’s a huge patch. Bramble.

And I will get to pick zillions of blackberries in the next week or so. 

I just have to remember to get some medicine for the hives that I get when I get myself scratched.

Yay, Blackberries!

PS I close on my house tomorrow. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Google Analytics Alternative